Subject: Re: pan claims missing crtend.o (xs4)
To: NetBSD-help list <>
From: Rogier Krieger <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/12/2003 21:15:04
Hi David,

thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I do not completely
understand the technical details of this problem, yet. Please
bear with me.

Previous Correspondence from David Laight (18:35 12-4-03 +0100):
>> Does the error message mean my system is broken? I tried
>> searching the various archives and usenet groups, but my
>> search came up dry.
>You didn't try very hard:

Well, most of the messages your links suggest are messages that I already
read. Unfortunately, I have no clue how I can generate a solution from them.
With 'came up dry', this is what I meant. I should have been more specific.

>In any cases the 'resolution' is described in:
>I guess you have out of date tools.

Which tools do you mean? I updated my system's libtool (from pkgsrc,
libtool-base-1.4.20010614nb14) and tried rebuilding the various items,
such as glib2, gtk, gtk2, etc. Still, the problem persisted. In the resolution
message, I see only a mention of binutils, which - to my knowledge - are
not part of the building chain for pan. Do I need to install these?

I'd appreciate any insight on this. If I should a PR for this problem,
please let me know.

Rogier Krieger