Subject: Re: adding upgrade to pkg_add
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/10/2003 01:29:00
[ On Wednesday, April 9, 2003 at 17:28:11 (-0700), Jeremy C. Reed wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: adding upgrade to pkg_add
>
> I use pkg_add on systems where all software is installed from packages.
>
> I don't want to pkg_delete sh-utils since other users or software may have
> problems, for example.

You should only ever be upgrading critical packages while the system is
in single user mode!  That should go without saying.

Given that I'm not sure it makes sense to go the full length of dealing
with all the intricacies of a proper and complete upgrade procedure when
it's _MUCH_ easier to simply reboot on an alternate root partition (even
alternate media such as CD, network, etc.) in order to upgrade critical
"system" packages.

--
								Greg A. Woods