Subject: Re: automatic menu generation for wm's
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/07/2003 10:58:16
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> a) remove example apps from their default config
> b) add directive to include generated menu definitions from
> /usr/pkg/etc/wm-menus/...

> how about that idea?

I think it would be good to automatically generate window manager (and
other) menus for packages.

In fact, I discussed a few ideas on this list several months ago and I
believe a few others thought the idea was fine. (Your menu format has a
little more detail.)

I patched pkg_add(1) and implemented the changes in bsd.pkg.mk for menus,
added a new definition for menus to several packages for testing, and
wrote scripts for IceWM and Blackbox to generate their specific menu
formats from the data.

Because automatic menu generation is not part of the package system, on
different systems I manually add the menu data and then regenerate user's
menus (using my scripts).

See http://www.NetBSD.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=18168 (which
I submitted after much of the discussion).

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/