Subject: Re: ncurses and terminfo are broken on Solaris/SunOS (Re: pkg/20881)
To: Greg A. Woods <>
From: Michael Schroeder <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/04/2003 11:20:54
> I think in an ideal world "screen" would not do any terminal emulation
> and would simply maintain as transparent a pipe through to each session
> as is possible, though of course that means giving up on some of the
> "bloated" features people have come to expect from "screen".

You don't seem to understand one of the basic functions of screen:
You can detach the session and reattach later from a totally different
terminal type. Actually you can attach multiple times with different
terminals. And all of this is transparent to the (running) applications!

Regarding the terminfo entry, I agree that it should be in the ncurses
package and the NetBSD screen package shouldn't install its own.

Michael Schroeder