Subject: Re: ncurses and terminfo are broken on Solaris/SunOS (Re: pkg/20881)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/04/2003 09:05:26
On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 04:43:03PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Since the ncurses package already provides a perfectly good
> terminfo-style "screen" terminal description there is no need for the
> screen package to replace them, nor for any other package to do so
> either.

since when did ncurses become a dependency of screen? this argument is
completely invalid.

if the problem is conflicting termcap entries, we can split them out.
blindly saying "screen should not install the its own termcap entry"
makes no sense at all.

the screen package knows best about what its termcap entry should be.
relying on a different piece of software to DTRT is very wrong.

g.