Subject: some rc.d scripts set rcvar
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/02/2003 18:27:20
I notice that some rc.d scripts return "is not set properly" warning and
some don't even when they don't have any rcvar defined.

Then I noticed that some rc scripts do:

   eval [ -z "\$${rcvar}" ] && eval ${rcvar}=NO

For example:
    Default to slapd=NO if it's not defined.
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/databases/openldap/files/slapd.sh?rev=1.3&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Why?

It seems like the warning is good. When is it okay to auto set this?

I see this:
   Don't default to cupsd=NO anymore, as rc.d scripts aren't copied into
   /etc/rc.d by default any longer.  This causes the usual warning to be
   emitted when the script is executed.
http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/print/cups/files/cupsd.sh?rev=1.13&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

I think that is the right behaviour.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

p.s. By the way, I am using rcorder and rc.subr under Linux. But I also
see same issues under NetBSD.