Subject: vmsbackup
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org, jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: Edward Berry <eaberry@lbl.gov>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/01/2003 17:27:50
> Subject: Re: vmsbackup
> To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
> From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
> List: tech-pkg
> Date: 12/13/2002 02:22:17
>
> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 00:49:22 +0000, Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 01:50:38AM -0500, James K. Lowden wrote:
>> >
>> > I have a pair of vaxen that haven't been powered up since I brought
>> > them home a year ago.  I have no tape drives or CDs, just the internal
>> > HD.  I could install the hobbyist VMS license on one (I assume).
>> > Would that help?  Or are you primarily interested in tapes?
>>
>> A file in the correct format would be enough to test this (I guess).
>
> It appears the Hobbyist license is restricted to DECUS or Encompass
> members, which is fine; there's a free membership available.  The VMS
> media, however, might not be available (they're labelled "sold out").  I
> sent a query.
>
> It occurs to me that the CD itself is all you need, because it's a bunch
> of savesets.
> --jkl

I have a large number of 8mm "exabyte" tapes with multiple vms backup
savesets on each. I have a linux box with an 8mm drive that can read the
tapes using dd or using an old unix version of vmsbackup.  So I'd be glad
to test any linux version of vmsbackup you have, in the hope that it will
have some added functionality over the latest version I can find on the web.

In any case I would like to hear about any recent advances in vmsbackup
and where the latest version can be obtained.

Thanks,
Ed