Subject: Re: automatic linux emulation via
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/24/2003 10:02:43
Thomas Klausner <> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 07:17:12PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> > Suppose you have a package that requires either blackdown or sun-jdk.
> > In these cases, you can set PKG_JVM as desired and will pull
> > in the appropriate jdk.  However, if the jdk requires linux emulation
> > (as blackdown and sun do), I believe that should also
> > automatically register these dependencies.
> Why not let it be up to the actually used jdk to register the
> dependency? I don't see the point of this patch.

Take, for example, devel/eclipse.  It requires sun-jdk13.  That jdk
pulls in suse_linux/Makefile.application and obviously depends on it.
However, devel/eclipse does not register a dependency on the suse_*
package -- this was an oversight by me and could be fixed by simply
including suse_linux/Makefile.application here.

However, since the suse-dependency is only due to the sun-jdk13
dependency I feel that by depending on sun-jdk13 (by setting PKG_JVM and
including this should be done automatically.

> How about the jres?

Similarly;  I would need to add that.

"Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."