To: Takahiro Kambe <>
From: Jonathan Perkin <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/23/2003 16:59:48
* On 2003-03-23 at 15:03 GMT, Takahiro Kambe wrote:

> Yes, it is a problem.  But this arise from GNU configure's convention
> for Solaris system.

FWIW, I like the idea of doing our own config.sub so that we get a clear
distinction between machine/arch for each package, and explicitly use
our definitions for each package.  I note that even on the supposed
`base' archiceture there are still differences.

This shouldn't really happen.  This may not be practical though, and
could just be coming from my desire to have a centralised NFS /usr/pkg
(or whatever $LOCALBASE) which can serve multiple architectures.  We
have something similar on our local network so that there is
/usr/local/{bin,lib}.{arch} with the actual stuff, and shell scripts in
/usr/local/bin to decide what machine you're running and then execute
the required binary.  I'd like to do the same with pkgsrc, but don't
know how feasible it is in general - will probably keep it local.

Jonathan Perkin - Internet Operations Engineer - BBC Internet Services
24x7 Hotline: +44 (0)1628 407 777 (x37777) -