Subject: Re: hardcoded etc/rc.d in PLISTs instead of RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/22/2003 22:59:54
[ On Saturday, March 22, 2003 at 17:47:48 (+0100), Alistair Crooks wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: hardcoded etc/rc.d in PLISTs instead of RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR
>
> The reason we don't use the METALOG facility in "install" is because
> that version of install isn't the same across all platforms, and
> because packages use a lot more than just install(1) to put files in
> the right place.

What kind of lame excuse is that?

Obviously pkgsrc/pkgtools could supply an updated install(1) just as it
supplies pkg_add and friends.

Obviously also there's no need for _everyone_ to have a METALOG-capable
install(1) -- just those who want to be able to run "make print-PLIST"
(and I'll bet 99% of those relatively few people already know how to
update their install(1) program without having to use pkgsrc too).

--
								Greg A. Woods