Subject: Re: hardcoded etc/rc.d in PLISTs instead of RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/21/2003 18:51:40
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:16:07 -0800 (PST)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> It has worked for me to change it. And according to other postings, other
> admins want it changed too.

And I *want* it changed too ;)

> > and ugly (for the plist things), imo.
>
> Do you mean with GENERATE_PLIST? (Is it because it may be out of order?)
>
> It seems like the PLIST_SUBST is fine, because if it gets changed again,
> it won't be hard-coded.

So don't change it again.  Anyway we are hardcoding share/examples/
in lots of packages.

> Yes. That is what I am saying. I want the default to be changed to
> share/examples/rc.d/.
>
> I don't understand why you say it can't be done and then seem to suggest
> that it can be done. I may be misunderstanding all this. It sure seems
> simple (as I already have been using it that way for a while on a few
> systems).

What I don't want is a tunable variable. People will get confused
by doing so, as they may try to set RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR=/etc/rc.d
(or any other absolute path), which will break, as absolute paths are
not supported in PLIST's.  Then, they will complain. And they will be
bypassing the wonderful PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS framework ;). But, as said
above, I want the default changed.

Regards

PS: Your server is bouncing mail from my address...

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>