Subject: Re: hardcoded etc/rc.d in PLISTs instead of RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/21/2003 08:24:13
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:21:28 -0800 (PST)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:

> Several packages (such as samba20, net/arla, ucd-snmp, netatalk and many
> more) assume /etc/rc.d/ is the location for rc.d scripts.
>
> For example, I use:
>  PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS= YES
>  RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR= /usr/share/examples/rc.d
>
> So my configs are installed to /etc/rc.d/ (the default RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR).
>
> And my rc.d scripts are not installed where the PLIST indicates.
>
> PLIST_SUBST can easily be used to make sure that the
> RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR is used.
>
> For example, I have in my security/openssh/PLIST:
> ${RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR}/sshd
>
> And the security/openssh/Makefile has:
> PLIST_SUBST+= RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR=${RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR}
>
> Maybe that PLIST_SUBST should be the default for all?
>
> Then all the PLISTs can be easily fixed.
>
> Any comments?

I could simply set RCD_SCRIPTS_EXAMPLEDIR to /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d
and then fix the packages.  Anyway, the examples location is not tunable,
nor the documentation, nor "anything". We have PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS to place the
rc.d scripts wherever we want, after they are installed.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>