Subject: Re: gkrellm2 package
To: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/15/2003 15:58:41
On Sat, 15 Mar 2003 15:02:17 +0100
Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com> wrote:

> Speaking of the locales, there seem to be an issue with them, since the
> .po files use iso-8859-1 charset and are not well rendered by GTK+2 with
> the default font. gtk2+-pan has no problems with accents and the only
> relevant difference I found between how are compiled pan and gkrellm is
> the charset of the .po files. Converting a sample string to UTF8 in a .po
> file did the trick, but I doubt adding a rule in the Makefile to convert
> the .po files (using iconv as a build dependancy) is the Right Thing To
> Do. There's no such conversion in the FreeBSD package, but anyway I
> couldn't make it work to test it (it complains about missing fonts, and I
> didn't want to waste my time trying to make it work under FreeBSD).

I have trouble with accented letters in many applications that use gtk 1/2
(gaim comes to my mind now). So there is a problem hidden somewhere...
It shouldn't be gkrellm's fault.

> I patched and set up the necessary MAKE_ENV variables to avoid any
> conflicts with gkrellm1 (binaries are named gkrellm2 and gkrellm2d), I
> don't know if it's really what we want in the end, but it makes testing
> easier with a previous installation of gkrellm1.

Don't do this.  It will only bring problems (programs may rely on the
default name, and if you change it, they will break).  Instead, set your
package name (PKGNAME) to match the same in gkrellm1, so gkrellm2 behaves
as an update for it (see chat/xchat2 for an example).

> Comments ? Should I send-pr it all at once or each package separately ?

All at once will be ok.

HTH

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>