Subject: Re: bmake doesn't set MAKE correctly?
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/14/2003 23:51:59
>I inserted a

>echo "MAKE=${MAKE}"

>into the Makefile.  What you saw in my previous post was

>MAKE=  BUILDLINK_PREFIX.gettext=/usr/pkg [other VAR=somethings]
>   ^^^^^^^

Understood.  What I was trying to say was I read that as simply
MAKE being set to an empty string, whereas I thought you might have
been suggesting that it was getting a value of the rest of those
environment strings.

>This is where it should say

>MAKE=bmake BUILDLINK_PREFIX.gettext=/usr/pkg [other VAR=somethings]

so presumably something is clearing $MAKE, but its not likely to
be bmake itself.  gmake will set MAKE to MAKE_COMMAND but it should be
setting that to its argv[0] too.

>The problem with that particular package (mail/mutt) could be avoided
>since it did not actually require GMAKE, as it turned out.  Without
>using gmake, the package built fine.

Which may suggest some misshandling of USE_GMAKE or a feature of gmake.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
--sjg

>Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."
"Here I am, brain the size of a planet..."