Subject: Re: pkg/19066 -- please add uname to sh-utils
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/14/2003 13:18:47
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 11:58:28AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Maybe we could do like what is done for gid:
> >
> > # misc/gnome-utils installs a 'guname' program, so conflict with it if
> > # GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX == 'g'
> > .  if ${GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX} == "g"
> > CONFLICTS+=             gnome-utils-[0-9]*
> > .  endif
>
> If somebody commits that I'll personally medicate her or him with
> a big foam cluebat(*).

Okay. From reading the userfriendly cartoon, I may be "someone without a
common frame of reference". Was the above idea bad for gid too? (It is
already in use.)

> > Maybe gnome-utils should change its guname to gnome-uname.
>
> I could live with that.

Excellent. Can you do this? Do you want me to send-pr again? Do you want
me to send a patch?

> BTW: what is the fileutil's "uname" required for at all?

(I think you meant "sh-utils".)

I use it. I need it.

The same question could be asked about true, false, echo, env, pwd, et
cetera which are installed too.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/