Subject: terminfo?
To: , <>
From: Monroe Williams <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/06/2003 22:02:26
I recently found myself wanting to use a TERM type that doesn't exist in the
netbsd termcap file, but does exist in ncurses terminfo.  After installing
the ncurses package from pkgsrc (which installs /usr/pkg/share/terminfo) and
naiively setting TERM I found a couple of things:

- the netbsd pkgsrc patches prevent ncurses from installing a tput(1) which
understands terminfo  (Why?)

- netbsd libcurses seems totally ignorant of terminfo, so vi, less, etc.
don't like me anymore

Personally, I don't care to take sides in the termcap vs. terminfo debate.
I just want to be able to use a terminal description which actually matches
my terminal program.  (For the record, I'm trying to use one of the "nsterm"

What's the best way to deal with this?  I've currently got a ~/.termcap file
containing selected entries created from the ncurses terminfo.src using
infotocap.  This mostly works, but seems pretty cumbersome.  It also doesn't
work for some of the variants, including "nsterm-c-s-acs",the one I'd prefer
to use.

(By "doesn't work", I mean that programs which use termcap give either
"tgetent failure: No such file or directory", fail to initialize the
terminal (possibly the same failure with a different error message), or dump

What's the netbsd policy on termcap updates and/or terminfo support?  Should
the netbsd termcap file be brought up to date?  Do the historical length
limits on termcap entries apply to the netbsd implementation?

-- monroe
Monroe Williams