Subject: Re: xmms patch for raw cds
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/01/2003 09:26:33
On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 10:31:21PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Simon Burge wrote:
> > "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> > > Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> writes:
[..]

> True, "/vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0" is clearly for somebody else (Sun?),
> but "/dev/cd0c" doesn't work on i386. It looks like "/dev/cd0a" would
> work on NetBSD on all platforms.

Then why don't you use getrawpartition(3)?

> Note that that doesn't work for mplayer, as mplayer utilizes
> cdda_identify_scsi(), which requires an additional argument of the
> raw partition. They used to have a mess of defines as xmms does, but

getrawpartition(3)

> currently the device defaults to "/dev/cdrom" on everything but SUN
> and WIN32 (overridable in a config file, or on the command line).

And we don't need to go this way, thats why we added getrawpartition(3)
to get the raw parition on different NetBSD archs.

Maybe, but only maybe have a fallback to /dev/cdrom if everything fails,
but not the default.

> > > I think we should make things work well by default. As it stands right
> > > now, most users will be happy with cd0 being used to play things, and
> > > I think in general we should do what Simon proposes. Rule of least
> > > surprise. The user is NOT expecting to need to create a /dev/cdrom and
> > > /dev/cdrom goes very much against the NetBSD grain I think.
> >
> > I agree with this, having to create extra symlinks in /dev to make software
> > work isn't a good thing (IMHO).
>
> You mean like "/dev/audio", and "/dev/bktr"? I haven't heard any
> complaints about them, especially as you can easily specify the device
> that would be the target of the symlink directly, if you want to.

Because you 'normaly' only have one audio card and tv card in your system,
but it isn't unusal to have a cd rom, a cd writer or a dvd rom.

Bernd