Subject: Re: CVS commit: othersrc/bootstrap-pkgsrc
To: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/28/2003 14:21:15
On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 12:55:22AM +0000, MLH wrote:

> > That seems fine. I think it also makes sense for bsd.pkg.mk and friends
> > to display a helpful message and die cleanly if the required tools are
> > not found.
>
> Speaking of, is there any chance that bootstrap-pkgsrc can be fixed
> for Solaris?
>
> Right now, /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc can't be used because the recommended
> /usr/ucb/install trashes SUNWspro binaries when it tries to strip
> them and /usr/sbin/install uses different arguments. And you can't
> use std gcc version 3.x because it apparently isn't compatible with
> how devel/m4's configure handles /usr/ucb/install's test for make.
> And gcc version 2.95.3, if you do build it outside of pkgsrc, still
> doesn't handle things like automatically including socket libraries,
> etc.

I've just done a fresh bootstrap on a fresh Solaris 9 install with
both gcc 3.2.2 (from Sun Freeware) and SUNWspro 5.0.

Both worked fine and I was able to install packages without a hitch,
so I'm not sure I fully understand this problem. Could you provide
some examples?

Some of the problems you mention are package specific problems, such
as devel/m4. /usr/ucb/install is the BSD compatible one, and ~all
autoconf'd software will use it and not /usr/sbin/install.

As far as I'm aware, gcc doesn't automatically add libsocket and
libnsl (is that what you meant?) and to an extent, nor does pkgsrc.
Packages which do not auto detect their library requirements typically
have:

LDFLAGS+=	-lnsl -lsocket

specified in their package Makefile.

Hope this helps.