Subject: Re: PostgreSQL uppgraes
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2003 09:57:08
Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org> wrote:

> The porblem is that when you upgrade a major version of postgreSQL, you
> need to dump and reload the database. This is easy when you planned it,
> but I did not really expected make update on php4 to update PostgreSQL.

I have been bitten by this before, too, and would just like express
interest in a solution for this as well.

> Debian's PostgreSQL package dumps the database by itself before doing an
> update. That way you don't get beaten. I wonder how such a feature could
> fit in our pkgsrc?

A DEINSTALL script might be able to dump the database to a temporary
location and dislay a message indicating that.

-Jan

--
"When it's fall in New York, the air smells as if someone's been frying
goats in it, and if you are keen to breathe the best plan is to open a