Subject: Re: PostgreSQL uppgraes
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2003 09:57:08
Emmanuel Dreyfus <> wrote:

> The porblem is that when you upgrade a major version of postgreSQL, you
> need to dump and reload the database. This is easy when you planned it,
> but I did not really expected make update on php4 to update PostgreSQL.

I have been bitten by this before, too, and would just like express
interest in a solution for this as well.

> Debian's PostgreSQL package dumps the database by itself before doing an
> update. That way you don't get beaten. I wonder how such a feature could
> fit in our pkgsrc?

A DEINSTALL script might be able to dump the database to a temporary
location and dislay a message indicating that.

"When it's fall in New York, the air smells as if someone's been frying
goats in it, and if you are keen to breathe the best plan is to open a
window and stick your head in a building."