Subject: Re: pkg/20477: assumes sed is in /bin, isn't on slackware
To: None <>
From: David Laight <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2003 17:10:29
> Hmm, I don't think that's a wise idea.  The whole point of using a full
> path is to avoid the problems resulting in different people having
> different versions in different orders in their PATH variable.  We
> shouldn't rely on that.

Is sed one of the posix 'standard utilities'?
If so, and if the shell is also posix conformant, then you can use
the (ugly) syntax:

$ command -p sed args...

in order to pick up the standard 'sed' without reference to the
users PATH.

(There is also a command, whose name I can't remember, that will
return the default PATH.  Refer to the posix command.html page.)

David Laight: