Subject: Re: pkg/20477: assumes sed is in /bin, isn't on slackware
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2003 11:58:56
"Jeremy C. Reed" <> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 wrote:
> > pkgsrc/mk/            /bin/sed
> > but it's in /usr/bin/sed
> On my Linux box, I added to my mk.conf:
> EGREP=          /usr/bin/egrep
> FGREP=          /usr/bin/fgrep
> GREP=           /usr/bin/grep
> BASENAME=       /usr/bin/basename
> (These are not under /bin according to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard;
> sed is under /bin. Linux is not Linux.)

I wonder if maybe we should make a decision regarding this Linux-mess.
I'd say we follow a 'best reasonable effort' during bootstrap-process
(similar to what Julio suggested), but note if we deviate from FHS or
LSB standards.  If so, we warn the user and set some extra stuff in
/etc/mk.conf similar to what Jeremy does here.

How does that sound?

> For the fix in, they should probably just be set to
> command name (no path), just like CMP is set.

Hmm, I don't think that's a wise idea.  The whole point of using a full
path is to avoid the problems resulting in different people having
different versions in different orders in their PATH variable.  We
shouldn't rely on that.

Of course it runs NetBSD!