Subject: Re: pkg/20477: defs.Linux.mk assumes sed is in /bin, isn't on slackware
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2003 11:58:56
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 nb-pr@gendalia.org wrote:
>
> > pkgsrc/mk/defs.Linux.mk:SED?=            /bin/sed
> > but it's in /usr/bin/sed
>
> On my Linux box, I added to my mk.conf:
>
> EGREP=          /usr/bin/egrep
> FGREP=          /usr/bin/fgrep
> GREP=           /usr/bin/grep
> BASENAME=       /usr/bin/basename
>
> (These are not under /bin according to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard;
> sed is under /bin. Linux is not Linux.)

I wonder if maybe we should make a decision regarding this Linux-mess.
I'd say we follow a 'best reasonable effort' during bootstrap-process
(similar to what Julio suggested), but note if we deviate from FHS or
LSB standards.  If so, we warn the user and set some extra stuff in
/etc/mk.conf similar to what Jeremy does here.

How does that sound?

> For the fix in defs.Linux.mk, they should probably just be set to
> command name (no path), just like CMP is set.

Hmm, I don't think that's a wise idea.  The whole point of using a full
path is to avoid the problems resulting in different people having
different versions in different orders in their PATH variable.  We
shouldn't rely on that.

-Jan

--
Of course it runs NetBSD!		http://www.netbsd.org