Subject: Re: packages using ncurses
To: Jeremy C. Reed <>
From: Julio Merino <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/20/2003 14:42:23
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:29:43 -0800 (PST)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> > These packages don't require ncurses to build, only that a system curses
> > library is available.  Unless ncurses functionality is required, they
> > shouldn't need to use ncurses/
> Okay. They do need some type of curses.
> In my case, they were built against curses or ncurses.
> Maybe we could have another like
> ncurses/ And if no curses.h, then use
> ncurses/
> Any comments? Advice?

AFAIK, ncurses/ uses the system curses library to link packages.
It will only use ncurses if USE_NCURSES is set to yes. As I see from the bl2
file, it doesn't check if a system curses library is available... so maybe
this should be added?

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -