Subject: Re: xmms patch for raw cds
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2003 02:57:53
On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 02:16:53AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net> writes:
> > So since the 'majority' will be using cd0, the minority gets ignored
> > and has to go out of their way to fix it?
>
> Right now, the thing points at nothing sane.

True. It could also be said that xmms's handling of playing cds is well,
bass-ackwards anyway, but that's not pkgsrc's problem to deal with.

> With Simon's patch, it will point at something reasonable.

Also true.

> Lets not put in Simon's patch, then, because it is obviously superior
> to have things utterly screwed up.

I don't seem to recall saying that.

> > why can't there be an mk.conf define for default
> > cdrom device, and if it's not defined, *THEN* default to cd0?
>
> Because people are supposed to download binary packages and thus don't
> have mk.conf impacting their defaults in their binaries?

I'm sorry, but does pkgsrc not stand for "package source"? shouldn't those of us
who choose to build our own packages have more configuration options available
than those who choose to install binary packages? Since, of course, Simon's
patch affects the compilation of the package, not the installation of the binary
package..

And since when are we "supposed" to use binary packages? Is there something
"bad" about doing it myself with pkgsrc that I don't know about?

> However, I have no objections to an mk.conf variable IN ADDITION to
> simon's patch, which overrides the default CD device, if YOU are
> willing to write the code to do it. Simon should not be stopped from
> committing his code, though. His code is strictly better than what we
> have now.

I don't think he should be stopped from committing it either, I was just
wondering what happens to those of us who don't use cd0 as their default
audio-playing cd-rom. I'll write the code once the commit is done and anoncvs is
updated (I miss the days when a commit hit anoncvs as soon as it was committed,
but I digress) and submit a patch then.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII