Subject: Re: xmms patch for raw cds
To: None <>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2003 13:51:16
"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:

> Frederick Bruckman <> writes:
> > > I see one problem: what if the cd-rom drive one wishes to play
> > > audio from isn't cd0?
> Then they can configure that.

In case it wasn't clear in my original message, all that change provides
is (what I think are) saner defaults.  Even if /dev/cd0c is wrong
because the user had a second CD ROM they prefer to listen to audio CDs
on, it's still a better default than /vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0.

> > Yeah. For that reason, I think it would better to use /dev/cdrom on
> > all platforms, and on NetBSD, to let the user make /dev/cdrom a
> > symlink to the desired device.
> I think we should make things work well by default. As it stands right
> now, most users will be happy with cd0 being used to play things, and
> I think in general we should do what Simon proposes. Rule of least
> surprise. The user is NOT expecting to need to create a /dev/cdrom and
> /dev/cdrom goes very much against the NetBSD grain I think.

I agree with this, having to create extra symlinks in /dev to make software
work isn't a good thing (IMHO).

Simon Burge                            <>
NetBSD Support and Service: