Subject: Re: xmms patch for raw cds
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/10/2003 08:00:15
On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Sean Davis wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 04:11:01PM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:
> > Anyone see any problems with the trailing patch to set correct defaults
> > for the audio CD plugin (under NetBSD at least)?  The "/cdrom/" for the
> > cdda-dir is probably not correct for every system though, so the current
> > MESSAGE file in the package should stay.
> >

> I see one problem: what if the cd-rom drive one wishes to play audio from isn't
> cd0? On my system, for example, cd1 is the one hooked up to the sound card..

Yeah. For that reason, I think it would better to use /dev/cdrom on
all platforms, and on NetBSD, to let the user make /dev/cdrom a
symlink to the desired device. That's how it works now for mplayer on
NetBSD (and with /dev/dvd, too). It's not even mandatory to make the
symlink(s), since it's run-time configurable with both programs. The
OS specific defines in the code are lame enough, without adding more
layers in the package wrapper. It might be OK to let the package make
the symlink, if it doesn't exist.

All the defaults for CDDA_DIRECTORY look strange to me. Doesn't the
directory have to exist, and be readable by the user? Why would you
assume that /cdrom exists? (But that's no worse than /cdrom/cdrom0,
the coded default.) I suppose the package could create /cdrom, too.

Frederick