Subject: Re: Packaging Questions
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/06/2003 10:23:00
Alex Kirk <> wrote:

> First off: if I run "make package" for a package such as lang/perl58, will
> it install on top of my existing software? From Packages.txt and what I've
> seen watching messages scroll by, it seems like the answer is
> definitely...but I wanted to get confirmation, because I don't want to step
> on things like my Qmail install. If I'm right here, is there a way to avoid
> such munging?

I'd suggest creating a sandbox for your builds.  See
/usr/pkgsrc/Packages.txt for details on how to set up a sandboxed
bulk-build.  Note that this approach can also be used to build
individual packages (ie non-bulk).

In fact, on one of my machines I use the DESTDIR I used to build a new
userland as a sandbox by chroot'ing into it.

P.S.: Such questions are best posted to

Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."