Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/devel/subversion
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/03/2003 12:50:38
Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de> writes:

> Thanks... Sorry for not following the mailing lists - it is just too
> much to read in busy periods.

Heh, i know how that can be.

> Until then, I'd only like to import the "ap2-subversion" module;
> this is a leaf node, thus shouldn't break other stuff, and it is
> a missing link.

You can say that is a leaf node, but you're going to have to
apply the patches to split out apache's apr and make apache use
the separate apr package.

> (The standalone svn server worked well for me btw, but it lacks
> authentication.)

Not quite.  It is currently only meant for ssh usage, similar to
CVS's ssh access.  ra_svn over ssh is more secure than ra_dav
even when used with https, because ra_dav does no certificate
checking.

> I'd like to comment on pkg naming: We should try to use the
> suffix "-devel" consistently. It might refer to a "bleeding
> edge" version of something, or (orthogonally) to the pieces
> needed for extending/embedding the pkg, ie headers and (static)
> libs.  In the case of "apr", I'd say the apr shipped with an
> apache release is literally the a.p.r. and doesn't need the
> "devel".

That's fine with me.

> We have also named Python extension pkgs "px-xyz".

That is how the Subversion Python package is named.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett