Subject: Re: pchar and ucd-snmp vs net-snmp
To: Andrew Brown <>
From: Johnny C. Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/02/2003 23:06:43
On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:46:00AM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
> i was upgrading (a chunk of) my installed base of pkgs this weekend
> was dismayed to find that ethereal depends on net-snmp whereas pchar
> depends on ucd-snmp, and the two can't coexist.
> i opted to to build ethereal as part of my bulk-build, and came back
> to pchar later.  a quick tweak to the makefile shows that it can
> happily build against net-snmp, and after a bit of testing, i can't
> *see* any problems.
> is there any reason not to switch pchar to net-snmp for real?

Not at all.  I just haven't had time to sweep through pkgsrc and switch
packages that need ucd-snmp to use net-snmp instead.  The net-snmp file has some smarts for using the ucd-snmp-compatibility
headers and libraries.  I think most packages that use ucd-snmp should
work if you do:

	.include "../../net/net-snmp/"

in place of including the ucd-snmp/ file.

	-- Johnny Lam <>