Subject: Re: gcc3 pkg as main pkgsrc compiler
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.feb.drei@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/01/2003 19:59:54
grant beattie wrote:

> having gcc2 and gcc3 handled correctly by buildlink2. This should
> solve the remaining issues (I think the killer was shared libstdc++).

Libstdc++ is already a problem with gcc 2.95.3. I think. Using pkgsrc
with Solaris 8 I encountered a problem with a package (don't quite
remember which, having been in a hurry at the time) which needed
libstdc++. I had compiled it with lang/gcc and on a machine without
an installation of gcc, the need for libstdc++ could not be satisfied
because the package had no recorded dependence on libstdc++ (or in
other words, on lang/gcc).

I guess this has not been an issue on NetBSD so far, since the system
always has gcc available.

ciao
     Klaus