Subject: Re: gcc3 pkg as main pkgsrc compiler
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: julien Touche <julien.touche@lycos.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/31/2003 21:08:17
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, julien Touche wrote:
>>have packages been tested for compiling with gcc3.2 ?
>

> I have been using it for building packages for over a month. gcc3 is the
> only gcc I use (under Linux which uses pkgsrc).
>
> Please note (my message of Jan. 15) that libtool may need to be updated
> when switching to gcc3.

happy someone reports it work
but my concerns where about method to use it.
gcc3 is installed in $base/gcc3-2.1 so it is not ready to use directly.
to change that, one must rebuild all package with gcc3.2 (cf ABI) but
need:
set CC in mk.conf
set somewhere -L$base/gcc-3.2.1/include -I$base/gcc-3.2.1/lib ?
anything else ?

when i only add '.include "$base/etc/gcc-3.2.1.mk' in $base/etc/mk.conf,
i get with libtool:
checking whether the C compiler (cc -O -I/tmp/bou/include
-Wl,-R/tmp/bou/lib -L/tmp/bou/lib) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.
*** Error code 1

next to gcc3 install, need to recompile first: libtool (you said), ?binutils
and after the rest

Regards

		Julien