Subject: Re: use pkgsrc as non-root
To: julien Touche <>
From: Chris Pinnock <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/27/2003 12:16:20

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 10:07:01AM +0100, julien Touche wrote:
> Hi
> i'm trying to use pkgsrc bootstrapping on solaris 7, but i want to=20
> install pkgsrc and all packages as non-root with a special prefix.=20
> (prefix is easy, it seems, but non-root ?)
> is it possible ?
> i didn't find any info by googling or on pkgsrc page

Is it possible. You need to set BINOWN, BINGRP, LIBOWN, etc to be your
uid and gid (look at bmake's I think you can get away with
setting these in your shell environment. There are three lines=20
preventing in the bootstrap script that stop it from being used as=20
non-root -- these can be commented out.

I did something similar when looking at OpenBSD support on a machine I
didn't have root on.

best wishes,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (NetBSD)