Subject: Re: Problems rebuilding package database
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/23/2003 13:44:55
Konrad Neuwirth <konrad@mailathome.or.at> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I currently have a problem with the packages index on one of our
> machines.  Unfortunately, /var/db/pkg/pkgdb.byfile.db got hosed.
> Trying to rebuild (pkg_admin rebuild) only gives me:
>
> | pkg_admin: cannot open pkgdb: Undefined error: 0
>
>   Alas, this makes installing new packages somewhat hard.  I'm
> somewhat at loss---the file gets generated, but always ends up having
> length 0.  There's still enough space on the drive and the directories
> of all the installed packages appear to be okay.

Please do the following:

cd /usr/pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install
export CVS_RSH=ssh
cvs update -dP
make && make install
pkg_admin rebuild

There was a problem a few weeks ago in the pkg_* tools that since than
has been fixed.

Hope that helps,
-Jan

--
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.