Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
To: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/21/2003 19:30:47
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 05:48:23PM -0500, Eric Gillespie wrote:

> If you had actually bothered to read any of my posts you wouldn't
> keep telling me to use xpkgwedge because you would see that i do
> know about it and have always used it.  My objection is to the
> default behavior of cramming packages into /usr/X11R6 when that
> is not their natural habitat.

The location of some X11-using packages is historical.  Quite a few
years ago, when I first started working on pkgsrc, I argued for moving
all packages that don't use imake into ${LOCALBASE} for all the same
reasons you're giving now.  No packages ended up moving because in the
end, it boiled down to opinion, and one opinion was already the pkgsrc
default, so I worked on improving xpkgwedge instead.

> Of course, if someone who actually *worked* on pkgsrc and
> xpkgwedge feels like discussing this, i'm all ears.  Windbags who
> have no interest in hearing my question much less answering it
> need not reply.

We are moving toward making xpkgwedge the new default in pkgsrc, but
there are issues that others have pointed out, e.g. XFILESEARCHPATH,
that need to be addressed so that a default pkgsrc setup will function
properly.  Also, with NetBSD-1.6.1 happening "soon", I don't think we'll
be making the switch before then, as a stable pkgsrc will need to be
tagged for the new release.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@netbsd.org>