Subject: wrong use of PKG_USERS
To: None <>
From: Klaus Heinz <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/21/2003 07:45:29

while trying to install mail/nullmailer (on Solaris) the 'useradd'
program complained about:

  UX: /usr/sbin/useradd: ERROR:  is not a valid group id.  Choose another.

>From what I have seen in and mk/install/install
the syntax for PKG_USERS demands at least 'user:group' which is not
provided in mail/nullmailer/Makefile.

Changing this to the obvious ${NULLMAILER_USER}:${NULLMAILER_GROUP}
fixed the complaint of 'useradd' (fixed in CVS now).

I looked for other uses of PKG_USERS and found mail/qpopper/Makefile:

  PKG_USERS?=             ${QPOPPER_USER}
  MAKE_ENV+=              BINGRP=${BINGRP}

Is ${BINGRP} supposed to be the group for QPOPPER_USER?