Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
To: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/21/2003 11:18:14
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 05:48:23PM -0500, Eric Gillespie wrote:
> "Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com> writes:
>
> > Well, that is effectively what you're saying, like it or not, agree or not.
>
> OK, Greg, you win, i am withdrawing from this thread.  It is
> clear to me now that you have no interest in accepting what i am
> saying and simply stating whether you disagree with it or not.
> You would rather try to convince me i am saying something i am
> not.  Fine, have fun, i'm done.
>
> For the last time, i don't care if we have a separate /usr/X11R6
> or not.  You can divide the system into as many separate prefixes
> as you want and it still doesn't change my point.  I do NOT want
> packages in the same prefix as non-packages.  That is all.
>
> If you had actually bothered to read any of my posts you wouldn't
> keep telling me to use xpkgwedge because you would see that i do
> know about it and have always used it.  My objection is to the
> default behavior of cramming packages into /usr/X11R6 when that
> is not their natural habitat.
>
> Of course, if someone who actually *worked* on pkgsrc and
> xpkgwedge feels like discussing this, i'm all ears.  Windbags who
> have no interest in hearing my question much less answering it
> need not reply.

Once again, I would like to reiterate that Greg Woods does not speak
for the packages team in any way.  He is merely a (very voluminous)
contributor to the tech-pkg mailing list, and is only voicing his own
opinions.  His method of contributing is also problematic, in my
opinion, since his mailing system used to bounce any replies - to me,
that's the moral equivalent of saying "I'm allowed my opinion, you
cannot discuss this with me at all, your opinion doesn't matter".

I suppose I should make it plain that this is only my opinion.

Maybe I should make this a monthly posting.

Regards,
Alistair