Subject: Re: GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX and bootstrap
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/21/2003 10:33:52
On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 06:53:38PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> I don't know if packages that currently use GTAR actually need GNU tar
> or not, but if we change GTAR to point to ${PREFIX}/bin/gtar, it adds
> another dependency.  We probably want to check which packages actually
> do need GNU tar and which can work with pax-as-tar.

I'm probably missing something...
defs.*.mk defines GTAR; only some operating systems really use gtar there;
those should be fix to use LOCALBASE/bin/gtar, the rest can stay using
whatever tar they previously used.

Or what's your point?

Of course we should avoid to use GNU tar specific stuff (NetBSD's tar
should suffice) but I don't think we should try to be compatible with
every tar out there, and in the case of doubt just add the gtar dependency.

Cheers,
 Thomas