Subject: Re: GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX and bootstrap
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2003 18:53:38
Thomas Klausner <wiz@netbsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:45:33PM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> > GNU tar, when installed via pkgsrc from archivers/gtar installs as
> > ${PREFIX}/bin/${GNU_PROGAM_PREFIX}tar, which is generally
> > /usr/pkg/bin/gtar.
> >
> > When bootstrapping on non-NetBSD systems, we determine if pax is needed,
> > and if so build and install it as well as specifying GTAR in the
> > mk.conf.example file as ${PREFIX}/bin/tar.
> >
> > Am I correct assuming that this should be
> > ${PREFIX}/bin/${GNU_PROGAM_PREFIX}tar or am I overlooking something?
>
> No, it should be fixed to work like the gmake package: Make sure
> a ${PREFIX}/bin/gtar exists independent of ${GNU_PROGRAM_PREFIX},
> since it's needed for pkgsrc, and make pkgsrc use ${PREFIX}/bin/gtar.

The problem is that currently GTAR on NetBSD points to /bin/tar (or
/usr/bin/tar), that is pax-as-tar.

I don't know if packages that currently use GTAR actually need GNU tar
or not, but if we change GTAR to point to ${PREFIX}/bin/gtar, it adds
another dependency.  We probably want to check which packages actually
do need GNU tar and which can work with pax-as-tar.

-Jan

--
I'm not even supposed to be here today!