Subject: Re: preserving pkgs? [was: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/pkg_install]
To: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2003 15:06:22
[ On Saturday, January 18, 2003 at 15:03:35 (-0500), Amitai Schlair wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: preserving pkgs? [was: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/pkg_install]
>
> The reason we haven't been registering pkgtools/pkg_install (for
> instance) as a package is to prevent it from being removed, because
> the consequences of removing it would be bothersome. Other than
> that, it's a package and should behave like one. AIUI, this change
> will allow us to register such packages normally, while still
> preventing their removal.

Note that for pkg_install itself you have to re-install it again with
the version including this new feature -- the initial install of the new
feature registers the installation without the '+PRESERVE' flag file
because that initial install is done by the old version of pkg_add.
Only another install will cause it to be included in the registration.

--
								Greg A. Woods