Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
To: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/20/2003 15:00:18
[ On Monday, January 20, 2003 at 01:33:32 (-0500), Eric Gillespie wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
>
> "Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com> writes:
>
> > What you're essentially trying to say is that /usr/xsrc should not
> > install in /usr/X11R6, but rather directy into /usr (i.e. you're saying
> > that xterm should be in /usr/bin/xterm).   (yes, that's what you're
> > saying, even if you don't thinks so, and/or don't agree! :-)
>
> No, that is not what i am saying.

Well, that is effectively what you're saying, like it or not, agree or not.

>  What i am saying is that i
> want ALL PKG-MANAGED PACKAGES IN A DIFFERENT PREFIX (by
> "pkg-managed" i mean managed by the pkg tools).

Then install xpkgwedge.  That's what it is for.  It causes X11 add-on
packages to be installed in the X11PREFIX instead of in the normal
add-on package PREFIX.  You really have to do it first though --
i.e. before any X11 add-on packages are installed.

Note though that not all of us believe that all packages managed by the
pkg_install tools have to be installed in a separate hierarchy.  On my
production machines I set LOCALBASE=/usr (and do a few other tricks,
including _not_ installing xpkgwedge).

>  Clearly pkgsrc
> agrees with me to some extent, since most packages install to
> /usr/pkg by default.

No, by default pkgsrc does not agree with you at all.  Not one bit.

By default in pkgsrc all X11 add-on packages install in the X11PREFIX
and other non-X11 packages install in PREFIX.  This is what you've been
observing.  This is what you're complaining about.

>  Only the sub-set of them that depend on X
> install into a SYSTEM prefix.

It's not the "system prefix" -- it's the X11PREFIX.  Please read the
pkgsrc makefile modules in pkgsrc/mk.  Look for X11BASE and X11PREFIX.
(don't get confused or side-tracked by anything related to xpkgwedge)

Keep in mind that X11 is itself effectively an "add-on" package to
NetBSD -- it just doesn't (yet) come from pkgsrc.  This is something you
seem to be consistenly ignoring or forgetting.

Many people think that X11 add-ons belong with X11.

X11 depends on the system libc too.

--
								Greg A. Woods