Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/19/2003 17:17:23

I already have, in <11852.1042827110@remus.pretzelnet.org>:

> This is not correct.  Again, xpkgwedge despite its name
> restores normal functionality for the vast majority of X
> programs.  Go ahead and build GTK+ and some GTK+ apps on
> Solaris outside pkgsrc, you will see that they do not install
> to /usr/X11R6.  pkgsrc forces them there.  If the hack to force
> imake programs out of /usr/X11R6 doesn't work on Solaris, who
> cares?  It looks to me like people are saying that since it
> can't be fixed for all it shouldn't be fixed for any.

> This does not apply only to GTK+ applications, of course.  The
> same is true for Qt and KDE (which i do not use).  It is also
> true for emacs, rxvt, and aterm, the only non-GTK+ X apps with
> which i have real experience.

Below is a sampling of the packages installed on my system (all
those that require X).  This is but a drop in the bucket
described in the quote above.

After i actually made the list, i was surprised.  I could swear
that when i started using NetBSD a few years ago all gtk packages
ended up in /usr/X11R6, not just some of them.  Am i
misremembering?  Anyway, it looks like there is a trend to move
packages that don't really belong in /usr/X11R6 back to
/usr/pkg--for example, all the gtk2 packages don't have
USE_X11BASE so they go to /usr/pkg, right?  If that is the case,
it looks like at least some committers agree with my complaint
and are working to correct it.

GConf-1.0.9nb1
bonobo-1.0.18nb3
control-center-1.4.0.4
gal-0.22
gdk-pixbuf-0.22.0
gle-3.0.3
glut-3.4.2
gnome-core-1.4.2nb1
gnome-libs-1.4.1.4nb2
gnome-vfs-1.0.5
gnumeric-1.0.12nb2
gtk+-1.2.10nb3
gtk-engines-0.12nb1
gtkglarea-1.2.2
gtkhtml-1.1.7nb1
guppi-0.40.3nb2
imlib-1.9.14nb2
libglade-0.17nb2
libwnck-0.17nb1
mozilla-1.2.1nb2
mpeg2codec-1.2
ms-ttf-20020306nb1
nas-1.6
oaf-0.6.10
scrollkeeper-0.2nb2
xpdf-1.01

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett