Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/19/2003 00:11:53
Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> writes:

> So "xpkgwedge" is too difficult to use? Well then, you've neatly
> answered the title question, as it's clear that such hard-coded paths
> to "/usr/pkg" are not acceptable.

No, he has not answered the question.  As a matter of fact, the
direction this thread has taken has little relation to my
question.  If moving older apps that really want to be in
/usr/X11R6 to /usr/pkg is troublesome, fine, don't do that unless
xpkgwedge is installed.  I couldn't care less about these
programs, as i don't use any of them myself.

I am talking about the majority of apps, that don't need to
install to /usr/X11R6.  These default to installing in /usr/local
and work just fine with *zero* hacks or environment variable
settings needed by the user or the admin.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett