Subject: Re: When to add/change PKGREVISION?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@schmonz.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2003 14:54:32
grant beattie wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 04:52:43PM +0100, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
>
> > when an user visible change to a package is done.  (e.g. modifying
> > dependencies, changing PLIST, fixing a bug which does not prevent
> > package to build/install, etc.)
>
> When the PLIST changes for a non-NetBSD platform, we currently do
> not bump the PKGREVISION by default. This could change in the future
> when other platforms are better supported, ie. we should not treat
> them as second class citizens :)

Likewise, I've avoided bumping PKGREVISION when updating a package
to build and install on Darwin. As I see it, PKGREVISION is a way
to tell the user (or pkgsrc itself) that a previously working
package has been improved. If the package just stopped being broken,
the user (and pkgsrc) already know it's been improved.

- Amitai