Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2003 20:19:34
On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 08:37:32PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Jim Bernard wrote:
> >   Actually, it's rather convenient for users of multiple OS's to have
> > standard paths like that provided by the system by default.
>
> I'm having a hard time imagining a case where that would be really
> useful. If you set PATH in the shell initialization scripts it takes
> precedence anyway. I never suggested "/usr/pkg" be removed from the
> shell startup files in "/root" or "/etc/skel".

  What I had in mind was that if OS's set default PATHs that were
appropriate for most users, then most users (and their system
administrators, in system-wide shell startup files) wouldn't have to
set PATH at all.  In a multi-OS environment, this would be especially
convenient, since different OS's typically have software installed in
different places.  NetBSD's /usr/pkg is unique, and very few NetBSD
systems would be of much use to regular users if /usr/pkg weren't in
their PATH.  So, why not keep that in paths.h to keep life as simple
as possible for most system administrators and most (especially new)
users?