Subject: Minor Bump in "libc" on Release Branch and Binary Packages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2003 16:59:04
"libc" got a minor bump on netbsd-1-6 this month. The fact that it's
a teeny bump doesn't mitigate the issue. (The "teeny" bump, rather
than a "minor" bump, just solves the problem that libc.so.12.84 was
already reserved by a by-now-historical "current".) The issue is,
software built against NetBSD 1.6_STABLE, with its libc.so.12.83.1,
should not be run against NetBSD 1.6, with its libc.so.12.83, as the
ABI change to libc is presumably only backwards compatible, not
forwards.

I don't see any other option but that we abondon the unified 1.6
directory. We can't quite go back to collecting packages under a
"uname -r" directory, as "uname -r" on the branch no longer gives
reliable indication of ABI changes, but we can create a packages/1.6.1
directory, and resolve that packages built against sufficiently recent
1.6_STABLE go in there. Anybody have a better idea?

Frederick