Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2003 14:47:06
On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 12:12:43PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Ron Roskens wrote:
>
> > Since NetBSD could have the app-defaults under both /usr/pkg and
> > /usr/X11R6, maybe it would be better to modify the NetBSD config file for
> > X11 to include /usr/pkg/lib/X11/app-defaults/ in the XFILESEARCHPATH? If
> > you want to modify login.conf it would be better to set
> > XFILESEARCHPATH since a user could define XUSERFILESEARCHPATH and override
> > XAPPLRESDIR.
>
> Hard-coded paths in X to "/usr/pkg"? That sounds horrible! Why would
> that be better than setting environment variables?

  A: Because it doesn't require any changes on the part of users or even
system administrators.

  I guess you're horrified reaction stems from the fact that LOCALBASE can
be changed?  That is an excellent point, but it would be nice to have some
convenient way to avoid the need to set environment variables or use kre's
union-mount trick.  If /usr/pkg were hard coded, that would cover the vast
majority of cases, and it would still be possible to use the other methods
to handle the less-frequent cases.  But it's true that it doesn't feel like
such a clean solution then.

  BTW: I note that /usr/pkg/bin is hard coded in /usr/include/paths.h, so
there is precedent within NetBSD for doing so.

--Jim