Subject: Re: When to add/change PKGREVISION?
To: grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2003 10:33:01
On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, grant beattie wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 04:52:43PM +0100, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
>
> > when an user visible change to a package is done.  (e.g. modifying
> > dependencies, changing PLIST, fixing a bug which does not prevent
> > package to build/install, etc.)

You need to bump, at least, when the old and new packages need to be
distinguishable by the package system for the vulnerabilities list,
or by some other package's dependencies. Other than ABI changes and
security fixes, it's pretty much at the discretion of the maintainer.
I don't recall anyone ever complaining about package revisions being
bumped too frequently.

> When the PLIST changes for a non-NetBSD platform, we currently do
> not bump the PKGREVISION by default. This could change in the future
> when other platforms are better supported, ie. we should not treat
> them as second class citizens :)

If you anticapate needing or wanting to be able to say to users, "use
this version, rather than this version", then I suggest you bump. I
don't see why we'd need to make that kind of bump mandatory, however,
as there's no harm done if it's done later, perhaps after a couple of
additional bugs were fixed or changes were made.

Frederick