Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6? (was Re: gtk+ being installed in /usr/X11R6 under current pkgsrc)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/17/2003 13:11:50
Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net> writes:

> Again, xpkgwedge. It is not the default because it has problems under
> solaris, for example, which doesn't include XFree86 (I could be wrong).
> But I really would like it to be a default.

This is not correct.  Again, xpkgwedge despite its name restores
normal functionality for the vast majority of X programs.  Go
ahead and build GTK+ and some GTK+ apps on Solaris outside
pkgsrc, you will see that they do not install to /usr/X11R6.
pkgsrc forces them there.  If the hack to force imake programs
out of /usr/X11R6 doesn't work on Solaris, who cares?  It looks
to me like people are saying that since it can't be fixed for all
it shouldn't be fixed for any.

This does not apply only to GTK+ applications, of course.  The
same is true for Qt and KDE (which i do not use).  It is also
true for emacs, rxvt, and aterm, the only non-GTK+ X apps with
which i have real experience.

AFAICT the only packages that default to /usr/X11R6 are those
that use imake, though i only know this on the word of others.  I
have no experience with imake myself.

> AFAIK, using X11BASE should be avoided.

Huh?  That's what *I* am saying, but that is not how pkgsrc
behaves unless you install xpkgwedge.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on
fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett