Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/17/2003 09:30:33
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:49:21 +0700, verily did Robert Elz write:

>     Date:        Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:48:01 -0500
>     From:        Eric Gillespie <epg@pretzelnet.org>

>   | I don't want base stuff mixed up with package stuff.  Is that not
>   | part of the point of having a /usr/pkg hierarchy in the first
>   | place?  I don't want half my packages under one prefix and half
>   | under another.

> It would be nice if that were easily possible, but the X11R6 tree is
> a mess, filled with all kinds of different stuff.   Some packages
> depend up being able to insert files into the app-defaults directory.
> Putting the file elsewhere needs one of several different workarounds,
> none of which can be automatically handled by pkgsrc.

Relatively easy to have packages use ${PKGROOT}/lib/X11/app-defaults,
instead.

Asking someone to put ${PKGROOT}/lib/X11/app-defaults in their ${XAPPLRESDIR}
(and ${XFILESEARCHPATH} for Solaris) is barely worse than asking them to put
${PKGROOT}/bin in their ${PATH}.

Rob++
Internet: windsor@warthog.com                             __o
Life: Rob@Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth                    _`\<,_
                                                       (_)/ (_)
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.