Subject: Re: Why are packages ever installed to /usr/X11R6? (was Re: gtk+ being installed in /usr/X11R6 under current pkgsrc)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@warthog.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/17/2003 07:37:18
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 22:48:01 EST, verily did Eric Gillespie write:

> grant beattie <grant@netbsd.org> writes:

>> Packages which use X are installed into ${X11BASE} quite deliberately
>> (as they should be, imho).

> Why?

Because someone couldn't figure out how to use imake and still have it
install in ${LOCALBASE}

Therefore, they set policy.

>> You are correct, however, pkgsrc does force them there. That is
>> far better than allowing packages to do whatever they feel like.

> You misunderstand me.  By default, pkgsrc forces all packages to
> LOCALBASE except those which depend on X.  This is inconsistent.
> zsh depends on libc; why not force it into /usr?  /usr/X11R6 is
> part of the base system (that is, it is not managed by packages).
> I don't want base stuff mixed up with package stuff.  Is that not
> part of the point of having a /usr/pkg hierarchy in the first
> place?  I don't want half my packages under one prefix and half
> under another.

> I do not think that packages should be allowed to do whatever
> they like.  I think that all packages should be forced to
> LOCALBASE.

> I poked around with Google, but couldn't find any reason why
> things are the way they are other than hysterical raisins.

It's silly, really.  I agree with you completely.

Rob++
Internet: windsor@warthog.com                             __o
Life: Rob@Carrollton.Texas.USA.Earth                    _`\<,_
                                                       (_)/ (_)
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful.