Subject: Re: typesetting music with TeX
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2003 12:25:46
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > That got the program compiled, but when doing "make install", I get a
> > distracting "make: cannot open Makefile.".  How do I get rid of that
> > message?
>
> "Makefile" is probably coming from bsd.pkg.mk's setting of
> ${MAKEFILE}. If the makefile is actually named "makefile", for
> instance, you can set ``MAKEFILE= makefile'' in the package's
> "Makefile. That may even eliminate the need for your step one.

I commented out the "NO_BUILD" thing, then added this:

pre-build:
        @echo "building musixflx..."
        @echo "SHELL=/bin/sh" > ${WRKSRC}/Makefile
        @echo "all:" >> ${WRKSRC}/Makefile
        @echo " ${CC} -o musixflx systems/c-source/musixflx.c" >> \
		${WRKSRC}/Makefile

That seems to give a good build, but seems like a sloppy approach.

> By the way, you can get voluminous debugging information from "make"
> itself by adding the "-dv" switch. You'll want to redirect standard
> out to a file, to pore over it all.
>
> > 2)  According to what the FreeBSD install, I should install
> > ${WRKSRC}/tex/musixtex.fmt to ${PREFIX}/share/texmf/web2c.  This file
> > "musixtex.fmt" is missing from the tarball.  According to
> > ${WRKSRC}/systems/dos/makefmt.bat, one can create this file with the
> > DOS command "tex386 -i -mt25000 &ec-plain musixtex.ins %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6
> > %7 %8 %9".  What would be the function of this file and how can I recreate
> > it under NetBSD?  Do I even need to bother?
>
> See the teTeX documentation for a description of "format" memory
> dumps. [I won't try to explain it to you, since I don't understand it
> all myself. ;-)] You create then with "initex", but "initex"  doesn't
> seem to take the "-mt25000" argument, so go figure. Maybe check the
> CTAN archives, or probably
>
> 	initex '&ec-plain' musixtex.ins
>
> would get you something useful.

$ initex '&ec-plain' musixtex.ins
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) (INITEX)
Sorry, I can't find the format `ec-plain.fmt'; will try `initex.fmt'.
I can't find the format file `initex.fmt'!

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu